Our professionals at Top Notch Pest Control want your bed bug treatment to be as hassle-free as possible, which is why we ask that you properly prepare for our team's arrival. Follow our checklist below to help you prepare for treatment and to help ensure that it is as successful as possible.
Schedule your initial bed bug treatment no later than 7 days after the first sign of bed bugs in your home. Call Top Notch Pest Control in Brooklyn, NY to schedule your bed bug treatment today - 917-540-9907.
Can You Kill Bed Bugs Overnight?
While there is no surefire way to get rid of your bed bugs overnight, here are some steps you can try to take before scheduling a treatment with our experts. Extreme heat or extreme cold are usually your best option to attempt to get rid of these pests.
- Put bedding and clothes in hot water and let them soak for 30 minutes. After that, dry them on the highest heat setting for 30 minutes.
- Steam mattresses, couches, and other places where bed bugs could be hiding.
- Infested items should be packed in black bags and left outside on a hot day that reaches 95°F (35°C) or in a closed car. When temperatures are cooler, it can take up to 2-5 months for sealed-up bugs to die.
- You can also bags containing bed bugs in the freezer at 0°F (-17.78°C). The temperature should be checked with a thermometer and they should be left in there for at least 4 days.
Once all visible bedbugs have been removed, make the area inhospitable to the rest. Your mattress and box spring should then be covered in bedbug-proof covers that you zip up all the way. It will kill the bugs trapped inside, and it will also prevent new bugs from getting in.
You need to act fast when getting rid of bed bugs and initial treatment should happen within 7 days of noticing them. If these methods above do not work or you do not have the time to wait, call us right away to schedule our fast and effective bed bug treatment.
How Long is the Bed Bug Treatment Process?
Our bed bug treatment consists of two visits, rendered 10-14 days apart. Allow yourself time PRIOR to the appointment day to complete the preparation and set-up. This all must be completed before service.
Do I Have to Leave My Apartment or Home After Bed Bug Treatment?
You must leave your home or apartment, along with any pets (excluding fish), after treatment and not return until at least 4 hours have passed since the completion of the treatment.
If this is your first time using Top Notch Pest Control, call us to learn more about our new customer special.
Steps to Prepare for Bed Bug Treatment in Your Apartment or Home
You should take the following steps to prepare your NY home for a successful bed bug extermination:
- Mattresses and box springs should be stripped of all bedding.
- Lift mattresses and box springs out of the bed frame, and stand them up against a wall.
- Remove contents from dressers and nightstands, armoires, etc so that the furniture may be treated. Do NOT move items from the infested area to a clean area.
- All other miscellaneous items and objects should be placed in bags/air tight storage containers. (ex; books, electronics, photo frames, etc.)
- Get rid of any excess clutter, especially any cardboard boxes, as these are a great hiding place for bugs.
- Closets should be emptied and made accessible for treatment.
- Wash all clothes, linens, curtains, blankets, etc. in hot water and dry them in a dryer.
- All washed items should then be placed in heavy duty plastic bags (i.e contractor bags - they can be clear or black)
- Place all bags in the center of the room.
- Furniture should be moved 16-24 inches away from the wall.
- Cover any fish tanks with plastic or towels.
- Remove all items from around baseboards.
- All floors, cracks, crevices, moldings, and baseboards should be vacuumed and mopped, as well as all carpets and rugs.
After Bed Bug Treatment Cleaning
- Open all doors and windows to allow your home to air out.
- Clean all surfaces, especially in your bathrooms and kitchen.
- Wash your bedding every 3-5 days.
- For at least 4 days following the treatment, vacuum your whole home.
- Mattress and box spring encasements, labeled for bed bugs, should be purchased prior to service and put on all mattresses and box springs upon completion of first service.
Call Our Experienced Bed Bug Treatment Professionals
If you have any questions about the prep for bed bug treatments, feel free to reach out to our bed bug experts. We are a top-rated pest control company in Brooklyn, NY and we are here to help make sure that your bed bug treatment is done right.
“Roaches and waterbugs” - Lisa